Friday, April 8, 2011

Title for Sale

So, for my feature story I interviewed a Chinese entrepreneur because I thought that it would different than everyone else and give some inside info about how a company is really run. Oh, shut-up, I can already hear you moaning about how boring this is gonna be. Well, to be fair, thats what I thought at first since CEO's almost always just talk in circles, leaving you feeling confused. Fortunately, the interview went a lot better than expected. Its probably because I know him, but he was very open in saying stuff...  a bit too open in fact. I had to cut out some of his stuff when transcribing from Chinese to English (which by the way is freaking hard because people talk in Chinese a lot faster than I can type in English) because it was slightly too colorful and opinionated. It also would have probably pissed off quite a bit of people... lets just leave it at that. And no, he doesn't use child labor. 

                            
The entrance gate to his company 

I conducted the interview over the phone because I obviously wasn't gonna fly myself over to China. I couldn't do it over the computer because email is way to slow and skype doesn't exists in China (they used something called QQ instead). So, phone it was. Like I've said before, him talking in Chinese > how fast I can write. As a result, I had to record the interview and then later transcribe all the stuff that he said. Unfortunately, the recording quality left much to be desired... oh well. He also went on some pretty long rants but they were very informational and contained tons of awesome quotes. The interview in total took about 40 minutes. Overall an enjoyable experience. Not only did it go a lot better than I expected but I actually learned something from him.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this actually seems pretty interesting. It must have been pretty difficult to transcribe but well worth it.

    Can't wait to read the article,

    -Juumbie

    ReplyDelete